'STRIKE' is a 6 letter word starting with S and ending with E
Crossword clues for 'STRIKE'
Synonyms, crossword answers and other related words for STRIKE
Definition of strike
- cause to form (an electric arc) between electrodes of an arc lamp; "strike an arc"
- arrive at after reckoning, deliberating, and weighing; "strike a balance"; "strike a bargain"
- indicate (a certain time) by striking; "The clock struck midnight"; "Just when I entered, the clock struck"
- make a strategic, offensive, assault against an enemy, opponent, or a target; "The Germans struck Poland on Sept. 1, 1939"; "We must strike the enemy's oil fields"; "in the fifth inning, the Giants struck, sending three runners home to win the game 5 to 2"
- produce by manipulating keys or strings of musical instruments, also metaphorically; "The pianist strikes a middle C"; "strike `z' on the keyboard"; "her comments struck a sour note"
- pierce with force; "The bullet struck her thigh"; "The icy wind struck through our coats"
- deliver a sharp blow, as with the hand, fist, or weapon; "The teacher struck the child"; "the opponent refused to strike"; "The boxer struck the attacker dead"
- remove by erasing or crossing out or as if by drawing a line; "Please strike this remark from the record"; "scratch that remark"
- produce by ignition or a blow; "strike fire from the flintstone"; "strike a match"
- stop work in order to press demands; "The auto workers are striking for higher wages"; "The employees walked out when their demand for better benefits was not met"
- (baseball) a pitch that the batter swings at and misses, or that the batter hits into foul territory, or that the batter does not swing at but the umpire judges to be in the area over home plate and between the batter's knees and shoulders; "this pitcher throws more strikes than balls"
- a score in tenpins: knocking down all ten with the first ball; "he finished with three strikes in the tenth frame"
- an attack that is intended to seize or inflict damage on or destroy an objective; "the strike was scheduled to begin at dawn"
- a group's refusal to work in protest against low pay or bad work conditions; "the strike lasted more than a month before it was settled"
Anagrams of strikeKITERS - TRIKES
If you have a moment, please use the voting buttons (green and red arrows) near the top of the page to let us know if we're helping with this clue. We try to review as many of these votes as possible to make sure we have the right answers. If you would like to suggest a new answer (or even a completely new clue) please feel free to use the contact page.